RYA Marine Radio Short Range Certificate
- Book this course
RYA Marine Radio SRC CourseOverview
A radio is a highly important piece of safety equipment on board, which is why it is vital to understand the correct usage procedures. Unnecessary transmissions could block out a Mayday distress call.
The Marine Radio Short Range Certificate is a one-day course that caters for anyone who owns or operates a fixed/ hand held-marine VHF radio. Furthermore, this certificate is required by law if you operate a VHF radio fitted with Digital Selective Calling (DSC) or any vessel that is voluntarily fitted with a radio.
Course topics include:
- The basic of radio operation
- The correct frequencies (channels) to be used
- Distress, emergency and medical assistance procedures
- Making ship to shore telephone calls
- Digital Service Calling (DSC) using simulators
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
- Emergency Position including Radio Beacons (EPIRB)
- Search and Rescue (SART)
The course is taught by using radio simulators and will be examined by a short written test. All new VHF sets are either fitted, or can be interfaced, with DSC allowing calls to specific vessels.